Published on CHOWK, by mohammad gill, December 25, 2009.
Khalid Hosseini, the renowned author of The Kite Runner, described Islamic practice as propounded by the Taliban in Afghanistan in his other novel A Thousand Splendid Suns as follows. This quote is quite extensive but it is worthwhile to read it in full:
For all (men, women, children ):
- All citizens pray five times a day. If it is prayer time and you are caught doing something other, you will be beaten.
- All men will grow their beards. The correct length is at least one clenched fist beneath the chin. If you do not abide by this, you will be beaten.
- All boys will wear turbans. Boys in grade one through six will wear black turbans, higher grades will wear white. All boys will wear Islamic clothes. Shirt collars will be buttoned.
- Singing is forbidden.
- Dancing is forbidden.
- Playing cards, playing chess, gambling, and kite flying are forbidden.
- Writing books, watching films, and painting pictures are forbidden.
- If you keep parakeets, you will be beaten. Your birds will be killed.
- If you steal, your hands will be cut off at the wrist.
- If you steal again, your foot will be cut off.
- If you are not Muslim, do not worship where you can be seen by Muslims. If you do, you will be beaten and imprisoned. If you are caught trying to convert a Muslim to your faith, you will be executed.
- You will stay inside your homes at all times. It is not proper for women to wander aimlessly about the streets. If you go outside, you must be accompanied by a mahram, a male relative. If you are caught alone on the street, you will be beaten and sent home.
- You will cover with burqa when outside. If you do not, you will be severely beaten.
- Cosmetics are forbidden.
- Jewelry is forbidden.
- You will not wear charming clothes.
- You will not speak unless spoken to.
- You will not make eye contact with men.
- You will not laugh in public. If you do, you will be beaten.
- You will not paint your nails. If you do, you will lose a finger.
- Girls are forbidden from attending school. All schools for girls will be closed immediately.
- Women are forbidden from working.
- If you are found guilty of adultery, you will be stoned to death.
Listen. Listen well. Obey. Allah-u-akbar.” (see the book: A Thousand Splendid Suns, pp. 247-249).
Allah-u-akbar indeed …
… My dear Taliban, a lot of water has flowed under the bridge. You cannot set the clock back: nobody can. If Islam is indeed the religion of peace, you are disturbing it even in the Muslim world. (full text).
My comment to the normal Muslims: dear fellows, how can you accept this? If you do not accept it, you have to act, to show it, to speak it out. YOU have to minorise the Taliban. So do not remain hidden in your privacy, hoping it will be over one day. YOU are the first to stop this mess, if you do not want westener soldiers in your country *. TO STOP THAT IS FIRST YOUR JOB!! THE JOB OF YOU, THE NORMAL MUSLIM … OF YOU, THE UMMAH.
Added later: because, the day the westeners can see that the UMMAH is realy, actively acting worldwide for a human Islam, I’m sure the Swiss voters will say YES to any Minaret you want.
The UMMAH must learn that Islam never can ask equality if the Muslim world is not ready to give back. Give back the normal human respect, right for development and freedom of deciding ones own lifepath … give this back to all of us, to everyone on this planet. Even to Muslim women.
(* or/and give some superpowers the pretext to reach your oil, YOU must stop this pretext).
Linked on our blogs with Swissness in danger – the minarets and we.