Are actually running the following emergency projects:
East Africa Food Crisis:
- Over 23 million people across East Africa are facing critical shortages of food and water following successive years of failed rains and worsening drought.
- A humanitarian crisis: Communities across East Africa are facing life-threatening shortages of food and water. Severe recurring drought is the major cause.
- Oxfam is already responding to this crisis. But the number of people facing severe food shortages has risen dramatically in recent months. We urgently need more support to continue this vital work.
- Make a donation to the East Africa Food Crisis response:
3 East Asian Disasters:
1): Sumatra earthquake: A devastating 7.6 magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of the Indonesian island of Sumatra on 30 September.
- The 7.6 magnitude quake could be felt several hundred miles away in the capital, Jakarta.
- More than 1 million people are affected.
- At least 1,000 people have lost their lives.
… more here.
2): Typhoon Ketsana: Philippines: Typhoon Ketsana hit the Philippines on 26 September causing widespread flooding and forcing thousands of people from their homes.
- More than 4 million people affected.
- Thousands of people believed still stranded by the floods.
3): Typhoon Ketsana, Vietnam: Typhoon Ketsana hit Vietnam on 29 September, causing widespread damage.
At least 163 people were killed, 11 people are missing and another 629 people were injured when Typhoon Ketsana hit Vietnam. Over 310,000 people were evacuated before and during the typhoon and were hosted in public buildings such as schools and office buildings.
In pictures: Typhoon-affected Vietnam.
Hundreds of the thousands of homes were damaged and flooded. Around 6,000 houses were completely washed away. Crops and large numbers of livestock have also been lost in the flooding.
Make a donation to the 3 East Asia Disasters Appeal: