Published on The Star.com, by Reb Stevenson, Oct. 24, 2009.
BERLIN – On Nov. 9, if all goes according to plan and no klutzes intervene during the set-up, a two-kilometre chain of giant dominoes will tumble in sequence from Berlin’s Reichstag to the Brandenburg Gate and on to Potsdamer Platz. Then an orchestra will play, kicking off a two-day “Festival of Joy” … (full text).
For the Berlin Wall:
- The website: Berlin Wall Online;
- Berlin Wall on wikipedia;
- Google Image-results; Google Video-results; Google News-results.
The Berlin Wall 20 years ago, watch these videos:
- Fall of the Berlin Wall, 2.55 min;
- Moments in History, The Fall of the Berlin Wall, 5.57 min;
- Berlin wall fall @ Potsdamer Platz 1989 in Berlin, 5.55 min;
- Berlin Wall, Germany, 1.17 min;
- Berlin – Checkpoint Charlie, 6.53 min. ‘Checkpoint Charlie’ was the colloquial name for a crossing point between the former East and West Berlin (Russian and American sectors of the divided city). Although it first came into being in 1945, after the 1961 erection of the wall it became one of the few crossing points between the two sections of the divided city. It was restricted to military officers and non Germans only. Germans had to use other crossing points;
- The opening of the Wall at Berlin Bornholmer Strasse 1989, 9.24 min.