The Rwanda Sitreps
Published on The National Security Archive NSA, Electronic Briefing Book No. 455, by Emily Willard, Feb 3, 2014, incl. Docs 1-17 and notes:
- Daily Pleas to New York Detail How International Failure Left Peacekeepers Ill-Equipped to Respond to Rising Violence in January 1994;
Kissinger to Ford: “Smash” Rumsfeld
Published on The National Security Archive NSA, Electronic Briefing Book No. 454, by William Burr, January 24, 2014, incl Docs 1-12 plus notes:
- Newly Declassified Telcons Show Conflict during Ford Years over Arms Control, Détente, Leaks, Angola,
- Kissinger Urged President to Tell Rumsfeld to “Get with It” on SALT, Pondered to Scowcroft Whether “We Should Let Angola Go,” and Disparaged Ford for “Popping Off” Publicly against Nixon,
- New Telcons are Subset of 800 Telcons Held up by State Department for Seven Years;
USS Pueblo: LBJ Considered Nuclear Weapons, Naval Blockade, Ground Attacks – in Response to 1968 North Korean Seizure of Navy Vessel, Documents Show
Published on The National Security Archive NSA, Electronic Briefing Book No. 453, by John Prados and Jack Cheevers, January 23, 2014, incl. Docs 1-25 plus notes:
- NSA Initially Downplayed Potential Damage from Capture of Sensitive Encryption Equipment from Spy Ship,
- Declassified Documents Describe Tense Internal U.S. Deliberations and Contingency Planning in Wake of Incident;
The Rwanda “Genocide Fax”: What We Know Now
Published on The National Security Archive NSA, Electronic Briefing Book No. 452, by Michael Dobbs, Ed. Assistance by Emily Willard, Jan 9, 2014:
- New Documentation Paints Complex Picture of Informant and his Warnings,
- First Publication of “#Rwanda20yrs” project by U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum and the National Security Archive;
Advisory: CNN Re-Airing Groundbreaking 1998 Documentary – “COLD WAR”
Published on The National Security Archive NSA, by NSA’s Key Documents and Guidance for Award-Winning Series, January 3, 2014.
see also the website at the George Washington University for the new postings about The National Security Archives.
Are Millions of Business People At Risk of Dying In Collapsing Buildings? on Washington’s Blog, by blog owner, Feb 13, 2014;
Scores of men and women executed in DR Congo: More than 70 civilians were killed by armed groups bent on spreading terror, says UN mission – on english AlJazeera, Feb 14, 2014.