Received by mail:
PROGRAMME ADVISOR (SYSTEMS AND PROJECTS) – PROGRAM TO SUPPORT DECENTRALIZATION AND DECONCENTRATION with UNDP
Location : Phnom Penh, CAMBODIA
Application Deadline : 06-Jul-08
Type of Contract : 200 Series
Post Level : L-5
Languages Required : English
Duration of Initial Contract : One year (with possibility of extension)
Refer a Friend / act now :
UNDP, Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA), and United Kingdom Department for International Development (DfID) have been partners since 2001 in the Carere Project, the Partnership for Local Governance (PLG) and now the Program to Support Decentralization and Deconcentration (PSDD). In 2001-2006, the PLG project provided technical assistance to the Royal Government of Cambodia’s Seila Program; a resource mobilization and programming framework for support to the Decentralization and Deconcentration reforms. The Seila Program and the PLG Project ended in December 2006 and the Seila investment framework and capacity building program were transferred to the Royal Government’s National Committee for Management of the Decentralization and Deconcentration Reforms. The PSDD Project, 2007-2009, was designed to support the NCDD with the ongoing development of policy and the continuation of multi-donor project support to the D&D program.
The 2008 NCDD Annual Work Plan and Budget incorporates the Royal Government’s Commune Sankgat Fund and the budgets of 21 individual donor projects supporting various aspects of sub-national governance and local development amounting to nearly $ 80 million. In partnership with 14 donors, PSDD provides harmonized technical assistance at national level to the NCDD and in all 24 provinces/municipalities to the Provincial Development Committees for the planning, budgeting, implementation, financing, monitoring and reporting of annual plans and budgets at the commune, district and province level under the overall NCDD AWPB framework.
At the same time, PSDD provides policy level advice to NCDD in support of the RGC’s Decentralization and Deconcentration Reforms, as required. In May 2008, the Royal Government adopted the Organic Law on Administration and Management of the Capital, Province, Municipality, District and Khan, prepared by the NCDD, which defines a new structure of sub-national governance, introducing indirectly elected councils at the various sub-national administrative levels; unified administrations at the provincial and district levels; and establishing the district/khan as a level of budget for the first time.
In parallel with the continued and improved implementation of the NCDD investment and capacity building programs at the sub-national levels, the priorities for NCDD are to support the practical implementation of the Organic Law in the near term and to develop a National Program for Sub-National Democratic Development (NP-SNDD) to implement the D&D Reforms over the next 10 years. The NP-SNDD will define a phased strategy of administrative and fiscal decentralization and a practical support program of investments and capacity building with greater harmonization of RGC activities and development partner support.
The Program Advisor (Systems and Projects) will provide technical support to theNCDD Secretariat, NCDD Program Support Team and the NCDD ministries as required. This includes the provision of Capacity Development for overall program and project management including the review and strengthening of some of the ongoing management systems, procedures and structures that have been developed over the past 10 years as well as inputs to the design of new structures, systems and procedures under the new regulatory framework to be established under the Organic Law. Main counterpart units in the NCDD are the NCDD Secretariat and its Program Support Team including four operational units: the Contract Administration Unit, the Administration Unit, the Finance Unit and the M&E Unit.
Scholarship and Job are posted at http://Cambodiajobs.blogspot.com
Duties and Responsibilities:
Summary of Key Functions:
- Develop the capacity of counterparts in the NCDD/PST in general and specifically the Contract Administration and Project Coordination Unit in project management
- Support the preparation, implementation and reporting on the NCDD and PSDD Annual Work Plans and Budgets
- Act as focal point within NCDD/PST advisory team for World Bank RILG project
- Provide advice and facilitate strengthening the efficiency, effectiveness and transparency of Commune-Sangkat Fund (CS Fund) operations and the quality of investments.
- Contribute to policy level advice on decentralization and coordinate with other decentralization projects.
Develop the capacity of counterparts in the NCDD/PST in general and specifically the Contract Administration and Project Coordination Unit in project management
In accordance with approved NCDD and PSDD AWPBs and under the supervision of the NCDD/PST Director and Deputies- and the SPA, the Program Advisor will assist the NCDD/PST Contract Administration and Program Coordination Unit (CAPCU) with AWPB implementation. Specifically, the Program Advisor will develop capacities of national staff and support to the CAPCU in relation to the following functions:
- Appraisal of national and provincial AWPBs and contracts between the NCDD and Ministries/Institutions ensuring compliance with NCDD policies and strategies; approved budget allocations and budgeting guidelines; and approved AWPB and contract formats.
- Continuous review, revision and strengthening of program management information systems operated by the CAPCU including various contract and project data bases;
- Monitoring of systems to ensure that data entry on contract, project and program implementation is properly conducted and managed;
- Facilitation and preparation of project specific management meetings and workshops to ensure that specific project implementation is proceeding in accordance with agreed work plans and budgets;
- Reports in accordance with NCDD Financing agreements are prepared for approval of the Director of the NCDD Program Support Team and/or NCDD;
In relation to PSDD, assist the SPA in operational, administrative and financial responsibilities related specifically to the PSDD project (and in his/her absence as OIC) ensure that UNDP policies and procedures are followed.
Support the preparation, implementation and reporting on the NCDD and PSDD Annual Work Plans and Budgets
Under supervision of the NCDD/PST Director and the PSDD Senior Program Advisor, the Program Advisor will assist with the coordination and preparation of both the NCDD and PSDD Annual Work Plans and Budgets and specifically will ensure that:
- The NCDD AWPB is formulated in accordance with approved NCDD principles, strategies, guidelines and procedures; are in line with Royal Government of Cambodia policy; and are consistent with individual project agreements signed between the government and development partners.
- The PSDD AWPB is formulated in accordance with agreements between PSDD donors and the NCDDS and support the overall implementation of the NCDD AWPB in line with development partnership principles and harmonization.
- Appropriate dialogue between government and development partners in AWPB formulation is facilitated through preparation of documentation and presentations for meetings and workshops;
- Support is provided for dissemination of approved AWPBs at national and sub-national levels.
Act as focal point within NCDD/PST advisory team for World Bank Rural Investment and Local Governance Project (RILGP)
Under the supervision of the NCDD/PST Director and the PSDD SPA, the Program Advisor will act as lead advisor within the PST for the World Bank RILG project. Specific duties include the following:
- Support the formulation of the annual WB RILG work plan and budget ensuring correspondence with the World Bank for approval;
- Assist the NCDD/PST to coordinate implementation of the AWPB between the various units concerned and with the technical advisors recruited under the RILG project focused on Fiscal Decentralization, Infrastructure and Safeguards;
- Prepare terms of reference for consultancies and studies agreed upon in the AWPB;
- In liaison with the PSDD Finance and Administration Advisor ensure that the RILG Procurement Plan is adequately followed up and supported;
- Assist in preparation and follow up on RILG Supervision Missions; and
- Provide advice and support to the design process for the new WB Project to support D&D expected to commence in 2010.
Provide advice and facilitate strengthening the efficiency, effectiveness and transparency of Commune-Sangkat Fund (CS Fund) operations and the quality of investments.
The Program Advisor will provide advice and facilitate strengthening the efficiency, effectiveness and transparency of Commune-Sangkat Fund (CS Fund) operations and the quality of investments. The Program Advisor will assist the Senior Program Advisor to coordinate advisory services in the following specific areas:
- Liaise with and provide advice to Department of Local Administration, Ministry of Interior, on issues related to the CS Project Implementation Manual;
- Liaise with the Ministry of Economy and Finance and the RILG Fiscal Decentralization Advisor regarding policy and design work on the CS Fund ensuring good coordination in work planning between policy and implementation;
- Advise and provide capacity building to sub-national PSDD advisory teams supporting the PRDC Executive Committees on their duties related to implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the CS Fund.
Contribute to policy level advice on decentralization and coordinate with other decentralization projects.
The Program Advisor will assist the Director and deputies of the NCDD Program Support team and the SPA to contribute to dialogue and consensus building within Government and between Government and donors in the following areas, as requested:
- Policy, management structures and systems, and implementation strategies for the Commune-Sangkat Fund; the District Investment Fund and the Provincial Investment Fund.
Impact of Results:
- The key results have an impact on the design, operation and programming of NCDD D&D activities as well as the creation of strategic partnerships among donors and stakeholders on this reform. The overall impact of the results of Program advisors work will be a strengthened technical and institutional capacity of the NCDD provided with transparent and reliable systems, procedures and guidelines. The key results have an impact on the overall success of the NCDD Reform programme.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the NCDD values and ethical standards.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of NCDD.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
- Demonstrated capacity and substantial experience in dealing with policy and strategic issues related to D&D and democratic development.
- Demonstrated capacity and substantial experience in program management, planning and implementation of complex development projects and programs.
- Substantive knowledge on governance, economic reform and decentralization and local governance issues with proven track record on policy advice, programme formulation and management.
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Promotes knowledge management in NCDD and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to lead formulation and monitoring of development projects
Management and Leadership:
- Demonstrated experience in dealing with aid coordination, aid management, aid effectiveness, and broader development issues.
- Substantial pervious experience in working with senior government officials, donor representatives and civil society on policy and strategic issues.
- Demonstrated strong coordination and facilitation skills (oral and written).
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Leads teams effectively and shows mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Proven networking, team-building, organizational and communication skills
Required Skills and Experience:
- Advanced University Degree in International Development, Public Administration, Finance, Economics, or related fields.
- At least ten (10) years of experience as advisor/ project management on national programs for implementation of local investments (similar in scope to NCDD AWPB) and decentralization reform programs Extensive experience in technical cooperation and training.
- Knowledge of UN procedures, policies and financial rules and regulations.
- Proven planning, management and reporting skills.
- Knowledge of desktop computer use and word processing and database programs.
- Availability and willingness to undertake field visits under relatively difficult conditions.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English required. Prior experience in Cambodia and knowledge of Khmer language are highly desirable.