Published on BBCnews.uk, 23 February 2013.
Events are to be held across the UK, and the rest of the world, to mark the 1,000th day spent in prison by alleged Wikileaks source Bradley Manning … //
… Tragic hero:
- Events are planned across the UK on Saturday, including a solidarity vigil in Birmingham and a picket at the US embassy in London, to mark 1,000 days of Pte Manning’s imprisonment.
- His trial is expected to start on 6 March.
- Last month, a military judge at a pre-trial hearing in Fort Meade, Maryland, ruled Pte Manning would have 112 days taken off his sentence if he is convicted. The judge said Pte Manning had suffered illegal punishment during his nine-month detention following his arrest.
- Pte Manning wants the charges dropped because of his ordeal.
- He has offered to take responsibility for leaking more than 250,000 diplomatic cables and classified files to Wikileaks – but the US government is still planning to prosecute him on all 22 charges.
- New York civil rights lawyer Chase Madar, who has written a book about Pte Manning, said he believed he was a “tragic hero”.
- “There is still a perception that the US is at risk from military leaks – but I believe what he did was a good thing, both for the United States and for the rest of the world,” he said.
- “The documents leaked represented less than 1% of what Washington classified in the whole of 2011.”
- Are you planning to take part in any of the events? You can get in touch using the form below.
(full text – scroll down the BBC page to the link: More on This Story).
Free Bradley Manning – Whistleblowers are Heroes, the website fighting for him /Homepage, by the Bradley Manning Support Network (above right: link to many languages and to important social networks, and to link for newsletter):
- About Bradley,
- Collateral Murder Video,
- What WikiLeaks Revealed,
- Addressing Confusion,
- Write Bradley,
- Timeline Of Events;
- The Bradley Manning Defense Fund,
- Advisory Board,
- Campaign Staff,
- International Chapters,
the website: on Stand with Bradley.org / Sign the petition;
Bradley Manning on en.wikipedia;
Bradley Manning on Google News-search;
and on YouTube search.