Published on Intrepid Report, by Pubali Ray Chaudhuri, January 30, 2013.
Challenge to Indian Parents: Do we dare take this vow, or a vow that contains similar tenets? If not, please let us accept that we are misogynists and wish proudly to remain so.
- 1. I will raise my sons to be feminists, to respect women as equal human beings in every way, shape and form. I will raise my daughters to believe that they are precious, cherished blessings, and I am as lucky to have them as I would be to have a son. I will reinforce equality in thought, word and deed.
- 2. I will treat my son and my daughter equally in every way, and I will recognize as social the limitations placed upon women, and not directly or indirectly tell my daughter that they are her fault because she is female.
- 3. I will refuse to pay or receive dowry.
- 4. I will provide my daughter EXACTLY the same educational opportunities as I do my son. I will ensure that my daughter becomes financially independent, a woman able to take care of herself. //
… // …
- 8. I will make no distinction between my son and my daughter when it comes to the inheritance of my property.
- 9. I will treat my son’s children and my daughter’s children with equal respect and affection.
- 10. At my funeral, my daughter and my son will have exactly the same responsibility for my obsequies.
Well? Do we dare?